REUTERS HEADLINE SERVICE PROGRAM AGREEMENT
BY CLICKING ON THE "I AGREE" CHECKBOX, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT ("AGREEMENT") WHICH GOVERNS YOUR USE OF THE REUTERS HEADLINES SERVICE ("SERVICE"). IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, CLICK THE "CANCEL" BUTTON. IF THESE TERMS ARE CONSIDERED AN OFFER, ACCEPTANCE IS EXPRESSLY LIMITED TO THESE TERMS. REUTERS ("REUTERS", "WE" OR "OUR") MAY MODIFY ANY OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CONTAINED IN THIS AGREEMENT, AT ANY TIME AND IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, BY POSTING A CHANGE NOTICE OR A NEW AGREEMENT ON OUR SITE. YOUR CONTINUED USE OF THE CONTENT OR SERVICE FOLLOWING OUR POSTING OF A CHANGE NOTICE OR NEW AGREEMENT ON OUR SITE WILL CONSTITUTE BINDING ACCEPTANCE OF THE CHANGE. REGISTRATION CANNOT BE COMPLETED WITHOUT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS.
1. GRANT. Subject to the terms of this Agreement and, unless otherwise consented to by Reuters, in compliance with Usage Restrictions, REUTERS hereby grants you, during the Term, a revocable, nontransferable, nonsublicensable, royalty-free, nonexclusive license to display on your website ("Site") the headlines, active links, or other source identifiers, and other information or materials, including any promotional taglines ("Content") that you receive from REUTERS through the Service provided that you do not alter, edit, or delete any of the Content. REUTERS may restrict, suspend or terminate your access to any aspect or all of the Content or Service at any time without liability. REUTERS reserves the right to modify the Service at any time within REUTERS sole discretion. You acknowledge that Content availability is subject to change at the REUTERS sole discretion.
2. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS. The Content is protected by the copyright laws of the United States and international copyright treaties. As between the parties, title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to the Content, and any copies or portions thereof, shall remain in REUTERS. REUTERS shall retain all rights to the Content and Services not expressly granted to you under Section 1 of this Agreement. You agree not to do anything contesting or impairing the rights of REUTERS in and to any of the Content and Services.
3. RESTRICTIONS. Except as expressly set forth in Section 1 or unless otherwise consented to by REUTERS, you may not, directly or indirectly: (a) sell, modify, translate, copy, publish, transmit, distribute or otherwise disseminate the Content or any portion thereof; or delete or fail to display any promotional taglines included in the Content (b) rent, lease, or otherwise transfer rights to the Content; (c) display the name, logo, trademark or other identifier of another person (except for REUTERS or you) on your Site in such a manner as to give the viewer the impression that such other person is a publisher or distributor of the Content on the Site; (d) remove, conceal or obliterate any copyright or other proprietary notice or any credit-line or date-line on other mark or source identifier included on Content or in the Services, including without limitation, the size, color, location or style of REUTERS marks; (e) encumber or suffer to exist any lien or security interest on the subject matter of this Agreement; (f) make any representation or warranty on behalf of REUTERS; or (g) use Content or Services on any Site that contains nudity or pornographic material of any kind, displays material that exploits children under the age of 18, provides material that is grossly offensive to the online community, including blatant expressions of bigotry, prejudice, racism, hatred or excessive profanity, promotes or provides instructional information about illegal activities or physical harm or injury against any group or individual, or use the Content or Services in any manner that is obscene, defamatory, libelous, invasive of personal privacy or misleading.
Unless otherwise permitted by REUTERS, you will: (i) display all Content on your Site in the exact form received by you, and not modify or edit any of the foregoing without REUTERS's prior written consent; (ii) ensure that the fundamental meaning of the Content is not changed or distorted; (iii) comply with all applicable laws and all limitations and restrictions (if any) placed by REUTERS on the use, display or distribution of any Content ("Usage Restrictions"); (iv) give REUTERS complete and accurate registration information when requested to do so; and (v) delete and remove any Content and related Hyperlinks from your Web site after a maximum of seven (7) days and not archive any Content for access by users at any future date after the Content has been removed from the your Web site.
You acknowledge that the service must link and redirect to the appropriate REUTERS web page when a user clicks on the Content (e.g. a headline). You shall not display Content in such a manner that does not allow for successful linking and redirection to, and delivery of, REUTERS web page, nor may you frame any REUTERS web page. You must always stipulate that the Content is supplied by REUTERS and is protected by copyright and owned by REUTERS.
REUTERS assumes no liability for your activity in connection with the Services and the Content or for the development, operation, and maintenance of your Site. Any fraudulent, abusive, or otherwise illegal activity may be grounds for termination of this Agreement. You will not attempt to hide your identity, represent yourself as someone else, compromise or attempt to compromise the security of any account, or interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of Services. If you use, or attempt to use, any Service or Content beyond the scope of the license granted in this Agreement, or beyond the scope expressly granted by REUTERS, or attempt to, tamper, hack, spoof, use robots or scripts, copy, distribute, modify, or otherwise corrupt the administration, security, or proper function of any part of the Service or the Content, then, in addition to termination of this Agreement, you be subject to appropriate legal and equitable action.
4. CONFIDENTIALITY. During the term of this Agreement, you may have access to some of REUTERS nonpublic technical or product information ("Proprietary Information"). Such Proprietary Information shall belong solely to REUTERS. You shall not, except as expressly authorized by this Agreement, use or disclose Proprietary Information without the prior written consent of REUTERS unless such Proprietary Information becomes part of the public domain through no fault of yours. You agree (i) not to disclose any Proprietary Information to any third parties, (ii) not to use any Proprietary Information for any purposes except carrying out your rights and responsibilities under this Agreement, and (iii) to keep the Proprietary Information confidential using the same degree of care you use to protect your own confidential information, as long as you use at least reasonable care. You acknowledge and agree that due to the unique nature of REUTERS Proprietary Information, there can be no adequate remedy at law for any breach of its obligations hereunder, and that in the event of a breach of this paragraph, REUTERS shall be entitled to seek an injunction and other appropriate equitable relief in addition to whatever remedies it may have at law.
5. PUBLICITY. Unless otherwise expressly permitted by REUTERS, you may not create, publish, or distribute any items that reference REUTERS without first submitting those items to REUTERS and receiving REUTERS written consent.
6. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER. You represent and warrant to REUTERS that your Mark(s) and/or content on your Web site, other than the Content, do not and will not infringe any trademark, service mark, copyright, right to publicity, right of privacy or other intellectual property right of a third party, constitute false, deceptive or unfair advertising or disparagement under applicable law, or fail to comply with applicable laws and regulations (including, for example, licensing requirements and administrative or professional rules). REUTERS makes no representations concerning any interruption in Service. REUTERS PROVIDES THE CONTENT AND SERVICE ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, AND REUTERS HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS AGREEMENT.
7. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL REUTERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, ACCURACY OF SERVICES, CONTENT OR RESULTS, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, DAMAGES RESULTING FROM DISABLING OF THE CONTENT RELATED TO NON-PAYMENT OF LICENSE FEES, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL REUTERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE FEES PAID BY YOU (IF ANY) IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTENT, EVEN IF REUTERS SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH STATES, THE LIABILITY OF THE PROVIDERS, THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENTS SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
8. INDEMNITY. You hereby agree to fully indemnify, defend and hold REUTERS and their respective affiliates, officers, directors and licensors (collectively, the "Provider Parties") harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred by you in connection with: (i) any use or alleged use of the Service or the Content through your account by any person, whether or not authorized by you; or (ii) your Site or (iii) any breach of Sections 2-5. REUTERS reserves the right, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, and in such case, you agree to cooperate with REUTERS defense of such claim.
9. TERMINATION. The term of this Agreement will begin when you click on the "Accept" button below and will continue until terminated in accordance with this Section. Unless otherwise agreed to by REUTERS, you may terminate this Agreement and the license granted herein at any time by destroying or removing all copies of the Content from your Site, all hard drives, networks, and other storage media. Unless otherwise agreed to by REUTERS, REUTERS may restrict, suspend or terminate the Service, this Agreement, the license granted herein, or your access to any aspect or all of the Content or Service at any time without liability. You agree to destroy or return to REUTERS all copies of the Content and all Proprietary Information promptly upon learning of such Termination. Sections 2 through 8 and 10 and 11 shall survive termination of this Agreement.
10. MISCELLANEOUS. This Agreement represents the complete agreement concerning this license between the parties and supersedes all prior agreements and representations between them. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unenforceable for any reason, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed under the internal laws and jurisdiction of the State of New York. Any action to enforce this agreement shall be brought in the federal or state courts located in New York, New York. You may not assign this Agreement without REUTERS prior written consent; any assignment by you without such consent shall be null and void. Each party shall be responsible for compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, if any, related to the performance of its obligations under this Agreement. Neither party will be liable for any failure to perform any obligation (other than payment obligations) hereunder, or from any delay in the performance thereof, due to causes beyond its control, including industrial disputes of whatever nature, acts of God, public enemy, acts of government, failure of telecommunications, fire or other casualty. REUTERS is not responsible for any costs or liability associated with making a connection (by any means) to the Internet, the Service or other online service, or network. You certify you are legally permitted to use the Services and access the Content, and if you are an individual, you are over 18 years of age. You take full responsibility for the selection and use of the Services and access of the Content. This Agreement is void where prohibited by law, and the right to access the Content is revoked in such jurisdictions. The sections headings appearing in this Agreement are inserted only as a matter of convenience and shall not be interpreted as substantive. Nothing in this Agreement will be deemed to limit or restrict REUTERS from entering into agreements with any other person covering services similar to your Site or from offering such similar services itself. The parties hereto are independent contractors, and nothing in this Agreement creates any Providership, joint venture, agency, franchise, sales representative or employment relationship between the parties. You have no authority to make or accept any offers or representations on our behalf and you shall not make any statement, on your site or otherwise, that contradicts anything in this Section.
11. PRIVACY/DATA PROTECTION NOTICE. The Reuters Group respects your privacy and seeks to protect your personal data. The following information describes how we gather and use data. The amount of information the Reuters Group holds on you and how it uses it depends on your relationship with the Reuters Group and on what Reuters service you use, so some of the sections below may not be relevant to you:
What Reuters uses your personal information for
The Reuters Group collects and uses your information to administer, support, improve and obtain feedback on our services and to detect and prevent faults, breaches of our network security, the law or our contract terms. We will also use all this information to assess what Reuters Group products and services may be of interest to individuals and to personalise our service and marketing.
If you are registered to use a service Reuters may contact you to obtain feedback on that service and any improvements we could make to it.
If you have agreed to such contact, the Reuters Group may contact you about those of its other services to which you do not subscribe but which may interest you. We may for example invite you to join a free trial of a service. Sometimes we may invite you to client entertainment and similar events. Such contact may be by post, fax, email, instant message and (in certain limited circumstances) by telephone from time to time. You have a right to ask us at any time not to contact you by way of direct marketing. You can do this by contacting email@example.com with the words "No marketing" in the subject line. Then you will no longer receive invitations for events or free trials. If you are a user of Reuters On-line subscription services, such as Reuters Messaging you may also use Account Preferences to change your marketing preference at any time.
Calls to Help Desks
Calls to Reuters Group telephone help desks may be recorded for quality control, regulatory and monitoring purposes.
Personal Information Reuters collects
The Reuters Group collects and updates information about users of its services, suppliers, account and IT managers and other individuals it deals with in its day-to-day business. It may obtain this information via direct contact with you, from third parties such as your employer or another one of our suppliers and automatically via your use of our services.
Information you/others give us:
This information includes your contact details, registration and payment details, support problems, details around participation in events, prize draws or surveys and certain relevant details of your interests and preferences. Information may also be obtained on you as a result of authentication or identity checks, including as required by anti money laundering laws.
Information we collect via our services:
If you are a registered user of our services the Reuters Group also gathers information about your use of our services, such as generic types of data accessed, times and volume of use of the services and Traffic Data. Traffic Data includes logs, details of networks, data and systems accessed, details of the sender and recipients of messages sent over our services, times and location of log on or access, duration of sessions, clickstream and similar usage or system data. Traffic Data may sometimes be traceable to/related to not just companies but named individuals. Before you register with the Reuters Group, however, you can browse Reuters Group web sites anonymously.
Storage methods and duration
The Reuters Group may store your information in its databases, such as its Customer Relationship database, for reference. The information may be retained and used by the Reuters Group for a reasonable period, reflecting our need to answer queries or resolve problems, provide improved and new services and any data retention requirements of the law. This means we may retain information after an individual ceases to use Reuters Group services or after the individual has ceased interacting with us. Except where the law, authorities or regulatory bodies require us to retain it for longer, we retain Traffic Data for a reasonable period after the Traffic Data was generated, including in some circumstances (such as with firewall logs or fault data) after any bill has been paid. The details of money laundering checks, user authentication or verification checks and details of trading or other regulated activity may be retained for so long as the law or the regulator requires or evidence of the trade is required.
Passing your information to others in your own organisation
If your employer subscribed for the service on your behalf then we may pass certain information to your employer about your use of the service where your employer has a legitimate reason to receive it. Similarly if you are the point contact person in your organisation for a service, we may pass your contact details to those in your organisation for this purpose.
Passing your information to third parties
Except where the law permits or unless you specifically agree, the Reuters Group does not sell or rent your personal data to others outside the Reuters Group.
In some instances, we may pass information to third parties involved in the relevant Reuters Group service (such as to stock exchanges or third party information and software providers) who wish to manage and check the distribution of their information/software and obtain payment for it. They may then match it with the data they have for this purpose. You will generally know if such a transfer of your personal data happens, except if the third parties are simply working on our behalf as our subcontractors, administrators (such as companies that process credit card payments) or our professional advisers or if the data is required to be disclosed by law or to a regulator - then we might not inform you.
If we sell a business division to another company and your personal data is used by that business then your data may be transferred to the buyer along with the business for them to use in the same way.
A "cookie" is a piece of software, which may be sent to your computer. Cookies enable us to collect information about how our web sites and services are being used and to manage them more efficiently. Until you have registered on Reuters web sites, the cookie will only track general usage patterns and technical information about your computer type and will not be used to identify you individually. After registration, cookies will be used to collect information on you as described in "Personal Information Reuters collects". You can turn off the ability to receive cookies by adjusting the browser in your computer but you should note that if you do so, this may materially distort the quality of service and data you receive. You therefore do this at your own risk. Reuters also uses agents with your computer to assist with our diagnosis of technical problems and therefore to obtain information about software versions installed and data transmitted, for software compliance purposes and for you/your company to receive software updates, new releases or additional software. Sometimes you can refuse or remove these agents but that means you will not receive this additional software and may suffer service problems and you may lose all rights to support. We therefore do not recommend that you remove or tamper with these agents.
Advertising on our web sites
Where advertising is served on to our web sites there may be cookies used to collect technical information and generic usage information but third party advertisers will not be able to relate this to you as an individual without your consent.
If the product you are using has digital certificates/certificate signatures then your name and related details may be displayed as part of any certificate issued to you. It will be seen by those to whom your certificate or signature is presented or who rely on it. Your details may also need to be entered into a related status directory of certificates issued.
International Transfer of your information
Because Reuters services and the Reuters Group are international, personal data may be made available internationally, including in countries which do not have data protection laws, or laws which provide as much protection as in the country of origin. We seek to require those to whom we transfer your data to protect it and your privacy. This way Reuters works to protect personal data transferred to countries which do not have data protection laws or whose laws are less strict.
In its capacity as a news agency, Reuters gathers and stores what could be classified as personal data. This is used for news reporting, opinion polls and related research. This privacy notice does not focus on that type of use.
Reuters Group means Reuters Group plc and subsidiaries or corporate entities as they exist from time to time and in which Reuters Group plc has a direct or indirect ownership interest of 50% or more. This includes some companies which do not have the word "Reuters" in their corporate name and which use other brands such as Lipper, Instinet, Radianz or Bridge. In some circumstances these companies may have their own privacy policies for data they collect themselves. Users will then be presented with their policies/notices on registration for those subsidiary services.
Your local Reuters office is primarily responsible for managing the registration data, except in relation to a few Reuters services where Reuters SA is responsible. Where your employer subscribed for the service on your behalf, details of who is managing your data will be available from your employer. Where the local Reuters company is outside the EU, its representative in the European Union is Reuters Limited. Reuters Limited is primarily responsible for managing usage and traffic data.
More details about the way we use data in a particular Reuters Group service may be found in a notice or statement which is provided to you as part of that service. If you have any questions about Reuters privacy/data protection policy please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a query regarding the use of data in a particular service, or you wish to see or change your data please contact: email@example.com. The law often allows you to write and ask to see and correct the information held about you, sometimes on payment of a fee.